After completing this course, students may work with other health and non-health professionals like psychiatrists, oncologists, cardiologists, educationists, special educators, school psychologists, counselors etc. A clinical psychologist may work alone as a licensed practitioner in their own privately owned clinics or in collaboration with other professionals at various settings like hospitals, rehabilitation centers, schools, NGOs, prisons etc. They may work as research staff/expert also.
Like all other medical and paramedical professionals, employment opportunities for clinical psychologists are tremendous as it is a career where the demand exceeds supply.
Clinical Psychologists could practice in many settings such as;
- Government hospitals
- Private hospitals
- Private practice
- Out-patient clinics
- Health and Wellness clinics
- Rehabilitation centers
- Critical care units
- Centres for the handicapped, schools for the mentally retarded and physically disabled children
- Health institutions
- Defence medical establishments
- As Psychologists in multinational companies; Ngo’s Government and Private sector
- Research analyst in research centers
- Schools and private homes
- They can also practice in non patient care roles like health policy, health insurance, health care administration and as health care executives
- Clinical psychologists are also involved in medical-legal field, serving as expert and performing peer reviews.
- Forensic science is another area where clinical psychologists work in a team.
The demand for clinical psychologists in the country as well as abroad is immense