Year of Establishment: 2019
The department of Special Education was started in the Session 2019-20. The department focuses on integrated education in the areas of teaching and extension. Department of Special Education would undertake the following activities in order to actualize the goal of empowering the persons with disabilities at the grassroots level. Special education is individualized education for children with special needs. Special education means “Specially designed instruction, at no cost to parents, to meet the unique needs of a child with a disability.” Special education is something special—special materials, special training techniques, special equipment and special help or special facilities may be required for special categories of children having special needs. For example low vision children may require reading materials in large print. Hearing impaired children may require hearing aid, auditory training, lip reading etc. mentally retarded children may need skill training.
Among the major activities and roles identified for the Department
- To establish better linkages between university and government/non-governmental organisations working in disability sector and more.
- To organize short-term and long-term training programmes for the rehabilitation personal
- To conduct institutional and community rehabilitation programmes
- To impart teaching at the level of Diploma and UG programmes in Special Education with interdisciplinary perspectives;
Vision of the Department:
- Every student with special needs prepared for maximum independence in learning and living
Mission of the Department:
- To provide activities that foster social development and to the maximum extent possible assimilation into regular school and community activities. Provide an excellent, distinctive educational experience for each student in keeping with his or her individual needs.
CAREER IN SPECIAL EDUCATION:
In fact the scope of special education is changing and widening with the new research findings coming up at international level. Let us discuss the scope of special education step by step:
- The scope of special education includes identification of disabled children based on physical and behavioural characteristics, assessment of such children (medical, psychological and functional assessment), their care and rehabilitation.
- Every school in Delhi has to appoint minimum two special educators as per a High Court Order.
- Placement of disabled children in the appropriate setting forms an important part of the scope of special education.
- The scope of special education includes various types of intervention measures such as, environmental, administrative, social and academic and various levels of intervention such as, preventive, remedial and compensatory efforts.
- Various support services for children and teachers and allied services medical check up and care also come under the scope of special education.
- Provisions of aids and equipments for meeting the needs of exceptional children—their procurement and development by teachers from an important aspect of special education.
- Playing a vital role in the community special education
- Opportunity to run your own special school
- Disability Commissioner(Govt. of India)
- Member Secretary/Chairman/Assistant officer (RCI)
- Special schools/NGOs
- Teaching and Research work in Special education colleges in India and Abroad
OBJECTIVE OF SPECIAL EDUCATION:
- To provide to each resident preschool child, identified as having a disability, the opportunity to participate in an approved preschool program within a reasonable distance from the child’s home, or to receive the appropriate related services.
- To provide a coordinated and comprehensive instructional program from kindergarten through high school.
- To provide appropriate related services to students with disabilities as needed.
- To encourage parental involvement and understanding of special education programs.
- To provide appropriate vocational services to students with disabilities.
- To provide transition services and develop a post secondary school plan for each student with a disability.