Are you looking for a career in the field of clinical psychology? Do you want to enhance your skills and knowledge in the area of mental health? If yes, then pursuing a professional diploma in clinical psychology from SGT University – one of the best psychology colleges in Gurugram & Haryana – can be a great option for you.
With the increasing demand for mental health professionals in India, there has been a surge in the number of job opportunities available in clinical psychology. In this comprehensive guide, we will provide you with all the information you need to know about pursuing a professional diploma in clinical psychology in India.
The field of clinical psychology involves – the assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of mental health disorders. A professional diploma in clinical psychology is a specialized course that focuses on providing students with the required skills and apt knowledge to become competent mental health professionals.
Why Pursue a Professional Diploma in Clinical Psychology in India?
India has witnessed a significant increase in mental health issues in recent years. As per the National Mental Health Survey of India 2015-2016, nearly 15% of the Indian population suffers from mental health disorders. This has created a huge demand for mental health professionals in the country. No longer is mental health treated as a taboo. Thus, pursuing a professional diploma in clinical psychology in India can offer several benefits, like:
- Career Opportunities: With the increasing demand for mental health professionals, a wide array of career opportunities and jobs are available in the field of clinical psychology. Jobs include work in: hospitals, mental health clinics, educational institutions, rehabilitation centers, research organizations, and private practice.
- Specialization: A professional diploma in clinical psychology give a chance to specialize in various areas of mental health like child and adolescent psychology, neuropsychology, forensic psychology, and health psychology.
- Professional Development: Pursuing a professional diploma in clinical psychology can be a great boost for your professional development. Vital skills related to clinical psychology like various assessment and treatment techniques, research methodologies, and ethical issues in the field of mental health are taught in the course.
Eligibility Criteria for Pursuing a Professional Diploma in Clinical Psychology
The eligibility criteria for pursuing a professional diploma in clinical psychology may vary from one institution to another. However, the basic eligibility criteria for SGT University are:
- Must have completed MA/Master of Science. (Psychology) degree from a university recognized by UGC
- Minimum aggregate marks of 55% for general category candidates
- Minimum aggregate marks of 50% for SC/ST category candidates
Admission Process for Pursuing a Professional Diploma in Clinical Psychology
The admission process for pursuing a professional diploma in clinical psychology in India may vary from one institution to another. To know more about the admission process for this course at SGT University contacts us. Admissions are open.
Course Curriculum for Professional Diploma in Clinical Psychology
The basic course curriculum for a professional diploma in clinical psychology covers the following topics:
- Counseling and Psychotherapy: This involved various counseling and psychotherapeutic techniques, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy, psychodynamic therapy, and humanistic therapy.
- Psychological Assessment: This includes various assessment techniques, such as intelligence tests, personality tests, and projective tests.
- Psychopathology: This involves the study of mental health disorders, their causes, symptoms, and treatment.
- Research Method: This includes the study of research methodology, data analysis, and research ethics.
- Specialization: The study of various areas of mental health, such as child and adolescent psychology, neuropsychology, and forensic psychology.
Click here to know more about the complete Course Curriculum for Professional Diploma in Clinical Psychology at SGT University.
Duration and Fees for Professional Diploma in Clinical Psychology
The duration and fees for a professional diploma in clinical psychology in India may vary from one institution to another. However, at SGT University the duration of the course is 1 year, and the fee for the first year is Rs 2, 62,500.
Career Prospects after Completing a Professional Diploma in Clinical Psychology
After completing a professional diploma in clinical psychology in India, you can explore various career opportunities:
|Clinical Psychologist||Hospitals, Mental Health Clinics, Private Practice||Psychotherapy, Assessment, Diagnosis, Treatment of Mental Health Disorders, Communication, Empathy, Patience|
|Rehabilitation Counselor||Rehabilitation Centers, Community Health Centers, Government Organizations||Rehabilitation Techniques, Counseling, Communication, Case Management, Empathy|
|Academic Counselor||Schools, Colleges, Universities||Counseling, Communication, Listening, Problem-Solving, Knowledge of Educational Systems|
|Researcher||Research Institutes, Academic Institutions||Research Methods, Statistical Analysis, Knowledge of Mental Health Disorders, Critical Thinking, Writing Skills|
Professional Diploma in Clinical Psychology: FAQs
1. What is a professional diploma in Clinical Psychology?
A professional diploma in Clinical Psychology is a postgraduate program that trains individuals to become clinical psychologists. It covers topics such as psychotherapy, psychopathology, assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of mental health issues.
2. What can I do after my diploma in Clinical Psychology?
After completing a diploma in Clinical Psychology, you can work as a clinical psychologist in various settings such as hospitals, mental health clinics, rehabilitation centers, or private practices.
3. What is the professional qualification of a clinical psychologist?
The professional qualification of a clinical psychologist typically includes a Master’s or Doctoral degree in Clinical Psychology or a related field, along with relevant clinical training and supervised experience in the field. Clinical psychologists may also need to obtain a license or certification to practice in their state or country.
4. Which is the best diploma in psychology?
The best diploma in psychology will depend on your specific interests and career goals. Some of the top diploma programs in psychology in India are at SGT University – one of the best clinical psychology colleges in Gurugram & Haryana.
5. How can I become a licensed clinical psychologist in India?
To become a licensed clinical psychologist in India, you need to obtain a license from the Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI). To obtain the license, you must pursue an M.Phil in Clinical Psychology and work under a senior psychologist. Once you have completed your M.Phil, you can apply for the license from RCI. You can find a list of the best clinical psychologists in India on various websites
6. What is the monthly salary of a Clinical Psychologist in India?
The monthly salary of a Clinical Psychologist in India varies depending on the source, but the average salary is around ₹27,000 per month according to Glassdoor. According to ambition box, the average annual salary ranges from ₹3.8 lakhs to ₹13.98 lakhs.
7. Can I become a Clinical Psychologist without a BA in psychology?
Yes, it is possible to become a Clinical Psychologist without a BA in Psychology. There are various education pathways to becoming a therapist, including a master’s in psychology, marriage and family therapy, social work, or counseling. A Ph.D. or PsyD can also help you become a therapist.